Wanna study engineering at top notch institutions in India that serves the purpose of being atop? Then it’s the right time to select and apply for admission at them. But beforehand, find, filter, select and understand an institute that means to you. In that case, why don’t you join either of two – SRM University and Vellore Institute Of Technology. Because, both SRM and VIT are ranked for serving students utmost and fulfilling the needs of student community in terms of academics, opportunities and facilities. To get a broad view, we have come with a comparison flow briefing their advantages, merits and differences they have.
Life at SRM University and VIT
The National Institute Of Ranking Framework (NIRF) has ranked SRM at 36th place for its academic excellence, placement opportunities and facilities it houses. The state of art built university nurtures modern engineers from scratch through its expert staff and cutting edge facilities. SRM has achieved it by placing more than 85% students at top companies such as Microsoft,HCL, L&T, etc, every year. Though this is an average scale, as it constituent colleges in Ramapuram and Delhi NCR places nearly 95% students at top companies at globally reputed companies – Adobe.
NIRF has ranked Vellore Institute Of Technology, well known as VIT at 16 place for its academic excellence and placement opportunities. Thus, the institute is a haven for students with visionary dreams, as it supports and nurtures them in a progressive path. All thanks to an updated curriculum that meets the international standards. VIT has set its own curriculum for students to study which is regularly revised to meet the job requirements and international standards. Hence the university ensures, “No VITIAN goes unemployed.” So, VIT has placed more than 93% students at top companies such as Microsoft.
Academic advantages of studying at SRM & VIT
- SRM houses one of the best infrastructure facilities equipped with modern equipment meeting international demands. Hence, students pursuing here would learn and experience world class facilities.
- When it comes to academics, academic framework and faculties matters. SRM has the academicians with wide experience in their field.Most importantly, the university board follows a robust academic framework drafted based on international guidelines meeting the needs of today and tomorrow.
- SRM University strives hard by improvising syllabus meeting the trends. This allows the young minds to expand their thinking ability and stand out of the box.
- SRMIST has established connections with growing international companies and educational institutions. Through the ties, and student exchange programmes and intermediate certificate courses, students’ employability rate grows every year.
- When it comes to education and employment, companies demand their staff to have knowledge on new age courses. Meeting that, SRM offers new age courses like Artificial Intelligence, Big Data Analytics, IoT are included in UG courses for higher employability.
|Entrance Exam||SRMJEE, JEE, SAT||VITEEE, JEE|
|Approved By||UGC, AICTE||UGC, AICTE|
- VIT is popular for its academic excellence, as it owns the best infrastructure and SME with wide experience in their field.
- The institute nurtures students in a progressive standard meeting the global demands. Thus students finishing off UG and PG courses from VIT, get unique opportunities from abroad universities to pursue higher studies.
- It has signed MoU with more than 300 international universities for student exchange programmes and educational collaboration benefiting students.
- The institution allots more than 15% of its revenue on research and development of curriculum and certificate courses that mould students with new skills.
- Above all, to cater the needs of students and help them become multiskilled, VIT has started offering intermediate courses and training courses to support them.
Merits and Achievements Of SRM University and VIT
- So far, more than 200 students benefited by studying at Top international universities like MIT through Student Exchange Programmes.
- SRM has signed MoUs and made tie-ups with MIT, Stanford, UC Berkeley, Cambridge and NUS to improve syllabus and academic restructuring.
- NAAC has ranked SRM with A++ Grade for academic excellence.
- Till date, more than 600 companies visit SRMIST every year to hire its students. The important fact here is that the number of companies and the percentage of students getting jobs increases every year. SRM hopes to get its 100 % students placed at top companies sooner.
- SRM aims at making education affordable and reachable for everyone. Ensuring that, the institute offers more than 32 crore scholarships, every year for students. So that the students can continue their education.
Achievements / Accolades
- So far, 93% of students are placed at reputed firms at good pay grade.
- The median scale of CTC received by the students of previous year was between 5 to 5.5 lakh per annum.
- On an average, 15% of students have opted for higher education, finishing undergraduate at VIT. This proves the academic strength of VIT.
- VIT has made tie-ups with more than 700 reputed firms including Microsoft, Amazon and Udaan.
- NAAC has ranked VIT with A Grade for academic excellence.
Infrastructure and Facilities at SRM
When it comes to an institution, facilities and infrastructure matters much for students. Because, it’s the students who are going to spend the entire academic life on the campus. So, it’s wise for students to learn and understand the facilities incorporated in the college he/she selects beforehand. SRM is no exception here and it’s well-known for its hospitality, as students learning at SRMIST campus are offered with all basic amenities and facilities one needs. Here below is detailed breakdown of facilities incorporated.
Infrastructure and Facilities at VIT
VITs’ are not only meant for study, each campus is built with outstanding amenities that every student needs. The institute houses state of art built infrastructure, facilitated with new age tools and equipment needed. Also, VIT has built student centric facilities such as canteen, auditoriums, library, sports area, etc., within campus. Thus no students walk out of campus to fulfil the needs. Also, the institute has a robust transportation facility for day scholars.
|Academic||A/C Classrooms, Auditoriums, Labs, Library Wifi Campus||A/C Classrooms, Auditoriums, Labs, Library, Wifi Campus|
|Non – Academic||Cafeteria, Health Centre, Transportation, Hostels||Cafeteria, Health Centre, Transportation, Hostels|
|Sports and Extracurricular||Sports complex and Gym||Sports Complex and Gym|
Academic Area and Classrooms
SRM – Classrooms play a vital role in academics. Because it’s a place where students are packed unison to learn and grow themselves in the subject. So, comfort should be guaranteed here to avoid distractions. Meeting that, SRM has built spacious Smart class rooms air conditioned and equipped with smart equipment to ease the process of understanding.
VIT– No compromise is made on academics, as its key to the success of VIT. Ensuring that, VIT upgrades its classrooms, curriculum and other academic facilities often meeting trends and academic space. Thus students pursuing courses here, get passed out well-learnt and successful. Also, the institute houses a handful of auditoriums, where seminars on essential and inevitable topics are organized. To produce the dynamic engineers of today, intermediate courses and training labs are introduced to the students. To attain that, the top university of India increases capital allotted for infrastructure development every year. Through its collaborations with international universities, VIT improvises its curriculum, academic facilities such as library, laboratories, and Auditoriums, every year.
Hostel / Accommodation Facility
SRM – Within the eco-friendly campus, accommodation facilities at SRM are built. The hostel building and rooms inside are built spacious, ensuring natural ventilation support. SRM believes that life on campus should be like life at home, so SRM ensures all facilities are installed, so that students not only study but also socialize with their peers. The common features of rooms across all campuses are, all rooms are air conditioned and equipped with water heaters for hot water supply, based on requirement, single bed options or shared with both A/C and non-A/C rooms are available. Both non- vegetarian and vegetarian food prepared under hygienic conditions in the central kitchen for hostel students.
VIT – VIT believes in one mantra, “Hostels are nothing, but a second home”. That’s why the accommodation facilities at VIT are built in an eco-friendly area inside campuses to provide comfortable, safe, inclusive and secure living. VIT’s Vellore campus has a total of 24 hostels including 18 men hostels and 6 women hostels. The number differs at each campus. All rooms are air conditioned and equipped with water heaters for hot water supply. Based on requirement, single bed options or shared with both A/C and non-A/C rooms are available. Hostelers are served with both non- vegetarian and pure vegetarian food prepared under hygienic conditions in the central kitchen. The VIT management committee conducts regular meetings with students to ensure their happiness and learn if there are any requirements / queries to be addressed.
Both A/C & non A/C
Both A/C & non A/C
Canteen and Relax Space
To dine healthy and hygienic, the institute runs an in house canteen for students and staff. The facility is open to day scholars, staff members and visitors. To ensure, ‘Students are healthy’, the food served is prepared in a hygienic and authentic way. Most importantly, the canteen is designed in a way to bring relaxation.
What if a student falls ill? No worries, the university management has ensured availability of medical facilities through establishment of a health center inside the campus. A dispensary with qualified doctors on-call 24/7, a day is present . Other than treating medical needs, the medical team is encouraged to conduct regular medical checkups for all students every year.
SRM – The central library inside the 15 storey administrative block owns the finest information resources meeting international standards. Spread over four floors of 1.50 lakh sq,ft area, the library is fully air conditioned and automated with RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) technology.
VIT – The Central Library is a treasure of this information era, Stretched over 7770 sq.m, the Periyar EVR Central Library has the best collection of information resources such as books, journals & other resources in Mathematics & Sciences, Engineering and Technology, Biotechnology, Humanities, Social Sciences and Management ranging from printed books, e-books, back volumes and CDs\DVDs.
Sports and Extras
SRM – SRMIST encourages students to get involved and accomplish in sports and extracurricular activities. In order to be mentally and physically fit, play grounds, stadium and indoor courts are installed on the campus.
VIT – At VIT students are encouraged to get involved and accomplish in sports and extracurricular activities, a lot. The sports facility at VIT Shopping Complex consists of a fully air conditioned gymnasium and Snooker Hall. A separate fitness centre for men and women is also available in the campus. In order to be mentally and physically fit, play grounds, stadium and indoor courts are installed in the campus. The Department of Physical Education conducts inter-university, state level and national level tournaments every year, and Smt. Rajeswari Viswanathan Memorial tournaments for schools and colleges.
|4 Volley Ball with flood light and link mesh fence of 2640 square meter in total.||400 Mts Track and field|
|5 basketball courts with flood light and link mesh fence of 5000 square meters in total.||Badminton(Wooden Floor, Men)|
|2 football fields with link mesh fences of 18000 square meters in total.||Football|
|Multipurpose Air Conditioned indoor stadium||Badminton (Wooden Floor, Women)|
|1 hockey field||Cricket|
|400-meter standard mud track||Table Tennis|
|Tennis court cum ball badminton court with flood light||Basketball (Synthetic Court Floodlit)|
|1 cricket field with 3 cricket net practice pitch||Squash courts (Wooden)|
Departments at SRM IST and VIT
SRM – Departments
- Accident & Emergency Medicine (Casualty)
- Aerospace Engineering
- Architecture and Interior Design
- Automobile Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery Career Centre
- Career Development
- Centre for Renal Transplantation
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Applications (Engineering and Technology)
- Computer Science
- Computer Science Engineering
- Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering
- Embedded System Technology
- Instrumentation & Control Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Nuclear Science and Engineering
VIT – Departments
- School of Advanced Sciences (SAS)
- School of Information Technology & Engineering (SITE)
- School of Computer Science and Engineering (SCOPE)
- VIT School of Design (V-SIGN) VIT Business School (VIT BS)
- School of Architecture (V-SPARC)
- School of Social Sciences and Languages (SSL)
- School of Mechanical Engineering(SMEC)
- School of Electronics Engineering (SENSE)
- School of Electrical Engineering (SELECT)
- School of Civil Engineering (SCE)
- School of Chemical Engineering (SCHEME)
- School of Bio Sciences & Technology (SBST)
- School of Hotel & Tourism Management (HOT)
- VIT School of Agricultural Innovations And Advanced Learning. (VAIAL)
Placement and Opportunities
SRM – Graduating doesn’t mean a student is ready to get employed. SRMIST believes in training students with both technical and soft skills to reach the heights. To achieve that, regular workshops, seminars and mock interview sessions are conducted. More than 80% of students who finished UG Engineering at SRMIST in 2020 are placed at top companies successfully. Also, equal to placements, more than 88 % of students joined top films through internship programmes. The average pay grade of students ranges between 3.5-4 lakh per annum. The curriculum SRMIST follows is regularly revised to meet the job requirements and international standards through a committee board.
VIT – As per NIRF data, Vellore Institute of Technology has a higher placement rate of upto 93%, compared to top universities in India. Like top universities in India, VIT has set its own curriculum for students to study. Most importantly, the curriculum is regularly revised to meet the job requirements and international standards.
|Average Salary||3.5 to 4 Lakh||5 to 5.5 lakh|
|Highest Salary||41 Lakh||41 lakh|
From the above article, you would have come to a conclusion. If you want to become successful in academics and would love to explore new age things in your desired field, VIT is the best place to study. Whereas, if your aim is to rule the corporate world securing a top position, no matter- SRM is the best place. Be it SRM or VIT, it’s your decision. But pursuing your dream course at a top college with facilities you need incorporated matters.